Sunday, March 28, 2010

Eat Your Sunshine!

It's been a dreary, cold, blustery week here in Eastern Ontario, which is particularly disappointing after we had an unseasonably warm spell a few weeks ago. So this kind of weather usually makes me want to make soup (which I did), but for this second of this week's two salad challenges, I decided to bring summer into the kitchen by making my friend Laura's Sunshine Salad. Made with spring greens and fresh fruit, this recipe is sure to fool your tummy into thinking that the sun really has returned. This week strawberries and blackberries were on sale, so those are the berries I've opted for. The last time Laura made this for me she used strawberries, blueberries and grapes. Any berries will do. She topped it with raspberry vinaigrette. We always have frozen raspberries in the freezer (stored from the previous berry season) so I made my own dressing, but one from the store will work just as well.


Sunshine Salad
Spring greens or baby spinach
Berries of choice
Oranges, supremed
Red onion, thinly sliced
Sunflower Seeds

Fresh Raspberry Vinaigrette
Makes about 1/4 cup

1/4 cup raspberries (fresh or frozen)
1 tbsp olive oil
1/2 tsp raspberry or red wine vinegar
2 tsp honey (or to taste)
1 tsp orange juice

Mash raspberries with a fork. Add the oil and blend until smooth. Add remaining ingredients, adding more orange juice if you want a thinner dressing.

Salad Challenge Countdown
Salads made: 12 Salads left: 40


No comments:

Post a Comment